Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Vintage finds in my living room

My week off work comes to an end, and I've taken a little time to get the living room in order, including the restoration of an old sideboard (from Macquarie Antiques in South Hobart) that has been residing in the carport for over a month. Restoration is probably too strong a word... it's not a valuable piece of quality timber, but a cheap, shabby little cabinet in Tasmanian Oak and plywood  that was covered in horrible flaking dark brown varnish. I stripped the varnish and gave it all a clean and sand, then painted the drawer fronts and sides a nice ivory colour, then oiled the unpainted parts.



Looks quite lovely! Not at all neat and perfect, but charming I think. Its given a new home to my squirrel lamp which was another inexpensive local vintage find.


More vintage timber furniture from around Hobart...







A hexagonal art nouveau-style table with tulip cut-outs on the three legs, and a mis-matched couple of old dining chairs. I left these in their original painted, battered state, but teamed them with matching chairpads from Ikea.

No comments:

Post a Comment